Christmas Eve is always a crazy busy day, no matter what I get done ahead of time, there just never seems to be enough time on this particular day of the year. It was extra busy with an airport run, but oh how excited the kids were to find out that Grandma Irene was here to spend Christmas with us. I had told the kids that LeeAnn (my friend and neighbor) needed us to go to the airport to pick up her mom as she had a Dr. appointment or something and couldn’t do it. Kelsey did not want to go, she really made a stink about not wanting to go to the airport. However, the kids were pretty surprised when it was Grammy Irene standing on the curb. Spencer especially kept saying that he thought we were picking up Tate’s grandma.
After getting home from the airport is was on to Christmas Eve traditions. Grandma and the kids got a game of BINGO going while I got the cookie making supplies ready. Why oh why did I start the baking cookies on Christmas Eve tradition? Brian and I both discussed the fact that this is a tradition that needs to be parted with. It just takes too much time and too much mess with the other things we want to do in the evening. However, it is fun to have fresh baked cookies to leave for Santa. Kelsey always makes her Rudolph carrot cake cookies (she rolls a carrot up in dough and bakes it.) The Rudolph cookies actually looked pretty good this year!
Spencer has become quite the little nose picker and I often capture it on film..lol I’m not sure anyone will want to eat Spencer’s cookies?
So, while the cookies were cookie, Brian decided to do a puzzle to pass the time. This was NOT a grand idea. In fact, it was a terrible idea! It was such a difficult puzzle, the kids were frustrated, but Brian would not give up the fight. He was going to insist that we all help finish this puzzle to the bitter end! Let’s just say, it was a miserable experience and this will definitely not be repeated next year!
Finally, the puzzle was completed and the cookie decorating could begin. Yes, we had green frosting, Spencer’s favorite color. He was more interested in eating it by the knife full, but occasionally some made it on the cookies.
Growing up we had the tradition of opening Christmas PJ’s on Christmas Eve. Usually my Grandma Payne would make them and we would get so excited to have matching PJ’s for all the cousins. However, as she got older and there got to be a larger extended family, she quit making them for us. I have passed this tradition onto my kids and it is so fun to have matching PJ’s. Chevron print is really popular this year and I couldn’t help but add those to Kesley’s PJ bottoms.
Let’s just say, Spencer was pretty excited to open his and to get to trying them on. I couldn’t resist posting this adorable picture of him in his green underwear..lol
We’ve told Kelsey that someday Spencer would WOMP on her and here is the proof! Yes, we do have some moments when the kids rough house, but nothing serious!
Here the kids are ready to read their Christmas Book, Christmas scripture story and get to bed! I never thought I would do this, but this Christmas I did give both the kids a dose of Benadryl and it totally worked its magic. I called it the Christmas Cocktail. Oh my, you know, it really is o.k. to use that once in awhile…I cannot believe I am admitting this, but this too will become a Christmas tradition…IT WAS AWESOME!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment