Friday, January 18, 2013

The “Perfect” Tree

The Ballard family (that’s us) has been making a terrible habit of waiting until the last minute to get a Christmas tree.  However, we made it 4 days earlier this year than last.  So, it is December the 15th and we headed out to the tree farm in search of the “Perfect” tree. 

The days leading up to this adventure have found Spencer not listening or minding his parents.  He has been caught running out of store doors and into the street.  It has not been a happy time for us.  We have seriously been considering a leash!  Knowing full well that Spencer would most likely run off while on the 20 acre tree farm and become lost as we got out of the car.  I immediately approached the tree farm workers (there were many, sitting around as business was slow.  Hmmm, I wonder why it was slow?  Oh, that is because everyone else on the planet has gotten their tree before now.)  I said, “hi, this is Spencer, he is 4 years old, he is wearing a blue coat and has bright yellow gloves on.  He is most likely going to be lost in a matter of minutes and I need you to know what he looks like so you can help us find him.”  One of the tree farm workers looking at another tree farm worker then said, “oh, she is serious.”  Yes, Mr. Tree Farm worker, I am dead serious.  This kid will be LOST!

We were off to find the “Perfect” tree and oh what a hunt it would be!  Kelsey thought she found it, Spencer thought he found it, Mom knew she found it, and Dad, well he had some ideas too.  We went to one area, then to another, back to the previous, and in circles we did go.  Spencer did stray, but we were able to find him each time, thank goodness!  It actually began to snow, a really rare thing for Seattle and it just made the atmosphere at the tree farm really Christmas like.  Brian and I kept laughing at Spencer running to a tree and standing in front of it and exclaiming, “I found the “Perfect” tree.”  He would then go to another and say the same thing.  It did crack us up.  I am not sure in the end who’s “Perfect” tree got chosen, but it was indeed a beautiful tree!  I loved the kids getting in there to help saw it down and loved that they helped Brian carry it all the way down the hill.  I am the official photographer and so get out of such slave labor!

001013018019015016020026028

Hot chocolate, the best part according to the kids and the best part for the adults is having the farm workers put the tree on top of the old Ford Windstar!

030

No comments:

Post a Comment