Monday, January 30, 2012

Christmas 2011

Christmas morning is always such a delight.  It has been our morning tradition to gather in the loft upstairs on the sofa and have family prayer before heading down the stairs to see what Santa has brought.  It gives us at least a few moments to acknowledge the day that our Savior was born and that this is the true reason for the season.  Christmas is about family and knowing that we are part of a much larger family with God and Jesus Christ reigning over this earthly family gives us purpose.  We love that we have a day devoted to our family in our home, enjoying each other with no other responsibilities pulling us out of our home that day.  It is truly special to spend the entire day/evening with our children playing toys, watching movies, eating yummy food, and just having a slowed down pace.

This year Christmas fell on Sunday.  I was so not looking forward to having to get the kids up early (how awful is that, that we were going to have to wake our kids up) for church.  I hesitate to write this as I just didn't want to go to church on Christmas Day, the very reason we celebrate the season.  I wanted to just stay home, enjoy my kids, and not have to get dressed up.  I wanted to stay in my new polka dot PJ's...lol  Well, I am so glad we did, it was truly the best day of church ever.  The combined ward choir was amazing.  The spirit the music brought into our lives that day was amazing.  Yes, it wasn't convenient, but it was worth it.  I said after the meeting, you know you are an adult when the best part about Christmas Day was not the presents and the kids, no, it was about going to church, singing my lungs out and enjoying the true meaning of the season. 

Because we had early church, we opted to get up early and let the kids play with Santa gifts, but we would save the gifts under the tree for after church along with our Christmas Brunch.  It worked out great.  We served a french toast casserole, fruit, eggs, sausage, and orange Julius.  I had such a fun time putting this table setting together for our family this year that I hope to pick a theme each year and do it again.  I stayed up late on Christmas Eve to set this all up so that it would be a surprise for them on Christmas morning.  It went over really well and the highlight for the kids was their surprise in their can and the amazing Rudolph cookies by www.sweetthemesbakery.com .  Spencer must have lived on the cookies for days and continually asked for another can each time we sat down at the dinner table.  I had taken cans with a pull top on them, opened them from the bottom with my can opener, cleaned them out, filled them with paper shreds and a toy or gift card, then sealed the bottom can lid back on with my trusty glue gun. 










Spencer's corner included a new bike (without pedals), Monkey BINGO, A Tool Set (inside the Santa Package) and a few shirts, including his shirt that Mrs. Clause made him that said "My Dogs" on it!


Kelsey's corner included a Fidget Friend, two shirts that Mrs. Clause made for her that read, "Cheetah" and "I Run."  She also received a new pair of running shoes (in the Santa package) and running socks.  She got all the supplies to do watercolor pictures and a very fun surprise was her very own karaoke machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment