Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Potty Training 101

Well, we (or should we say I) closed my eyes and jumped off the cliff into the much anticipated but much dreaded potty training of Spencer "Boy".   To my advantage, I actually waited until he was showing 99% of the readiness signs and boy has that taken a stinking long time.  What was the 1% of skills he was lacking? Well, that would be not being able to pull down his own pants or get dressed by himself.  Sometimes, we can't wait for forever and although I had planned to take the plunge after vacation and into the full summer swing, I pretty much gave myself 3 days notice that I was going to do it.  Unlike doing this 6 years ago with Kelsey, I actually read a potty training book (novel idea, don't you think?), I researched stuff on-line, and had a game plan going into it.  I'm thinking, that maybe I learned a thing or two back in the day and intended on doing it a little different this go round.  We are all to aware that Spencer is not your average kid and some of the "normal" things just weren't going to work with this kid and so, yes, I had a plan.  I'm happy to say that he was completely potty trained for going pee in just two days, with only 5 accidents (3 of which were my fault as I was talking on the phone and didn't take him when the timer went off).  We are going on 3 weeks now and have not had a potty accident since day 2 of potty training.  Now, going poop, that is entirely a different story, lets just say, me and the hose in the back yard are having more encounters than we need to be having, but it sure does clean out the underwear a lot better than in my sink...YUCK!

Here is a photo of a sweet treat that my good friend LeeAnn dropped by on Day 2 of potty training.  She is always so thoughtful and I needed a cheering section for me as it certainly takes it out of you to devote all that time into potty training.  I deserved this 100 grand and during these most difficult days of raising children, these are the days that you'd like to fore go being a stay- at- home mom, heading in to work was sounding pretty inviting!

No comments:

Post a Comment